As a family (wife Meera, husband Harilal, daughter Gayatri, helper Nani and cow Lakshmi) who practice yoga and still run behind family responsibilities, we decided to share our life experience with like-minded people in an “open house” style – sharing one roof to sleep, sharing the food we eat….sharing life and learning from each other.
If you come and stay with us, we offer you one yoga class a day from 6 to 7:30 am together with local Indians, 3 vegetarian traditional Kerala meals a day, chai and whatever pops up in the course of the day. Indian planning is unpredictable and therefore our motto is: dare and expect the unexpected.
We kindly ask donation to cover the expenses. 1.850 INR per person per night.
In respect of the local culture and in consideration of the ashram life please follow the ashram guidelines:
- Alcohol, drugs, smoking and non-vegetarian diet (meat, fish or eggs) are prohibited during the ashram stay.
- Long pants and t-shirt covering the shoulders are required for the ashram stay. Tight fitting and transparent clothing should be avoided.
- For swimming, women are requested to wear shorts down to their knees and a t-shirt covering the shoulders.
- In respect of the local culture kindly restrain expressions of affection (like hugging or kissing) in public.
- This is plastic FREE zone. If you bring any plastic bags or bottles with you, please think of packing them with you when you leave
- Mosquito nets, first aid kit, boiled water are provided and eco-friendly washing soap can be purchased from the ashram.
- Be punctual in schedule, so that you can keep the rhythm of the ashram.
- The gate will be locked everyday at 6 pm.
- Observe silence before morning pranayama class, after evening satsang and during food time. Kindly keep the lights out time which is 9:30pm.
- Latest arrival time for courses and family yoga stay is 5 pm.
- Shoes, and to a lesser degree, feet, have unclean associations. Shoes are not allowed in any of the ashram buildings, especially in places of worship and dining. Shoes should be left neatly in the spaces provided. Avoid pointing your feet at the altar or teacher as this is considered disrespectful.
- In India, as the left hand is generally used for personal hygiene, one should avoid using the left hand when interacting with others. In our Indian ashrams, meals are served in the traditional manner by sitting on the floor and eating with the right hand. It is considered rude to offer anything or serve food etc. with the left hand. Eat, give and receive (especially food and prasad) with your right hand.
- All books are symbolically associated with Saraswasti – the goddess of learning and creativity. It is considered disrespectful to place the feet or sit on books.
- Do not bring any drinks or food items from outside to the ashram as this disrupts the schedule and diet suitable for ashram life. If you have any dietary requirements due to health reasons, we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
The guidelines have been set up in order to maintain a pure atmosphere and make the ashram stay a true spiritual experience for its guests.
FACILITIES: library and internet access are available upon request.
The Arsha Yoga Gayatri is closed during the monsoon season (May 1st to August 31st). Full schedule runs from October to March.
Temperature stays steady all year round at around 30 degrees.
THINGS TO BRING:
Flashlight, toiletries, alarm clock, water bottle, cotton yoga mat (We don’t use rubber mats as these tend to shed plastic pieces after some use. If you don’t have one made out of cotton, you can buy one from us for a nominal price.), thin towel and laundry soap (both can be purchased from the ashram), sun screen, hat, swim suit (for women t-shirt covering the shoulders and shorts down to the knees), mosquito repellent (beach area has less mosquitoes due to wind and mosquito nets are provided for each bed), passport and visa copy needed for police registration.
DAILY SCHEDULE for Yoga Holidays:
05.30 a.m : WAKE-UP
06.00 a.m – 07.30 a.m : ASANA class (including pranayama and meditation)
08.00 a.m : BREAKFAST
01.00 p.m : LUNCH
04.00 p.m : CHAI
07.00 p.m : DINNER
07.00 p.m : MEDITATION & SATSANG on Saturdays only
09.30 p.m : LIGHTS OUT
Please note that the schedule is subject to change according to the type of course.
Tel: +91 4872606231
Mob: +91 9446813059
Arsha Yoga Gurukulam
Thampankadavu Post, Gayathri Beach
Thrissur, Thalikulam, Kerala 680569, India